It's 3 a.m. I must be..... a Mommy. :)

It's 3 a.m.  Do you know where your kids are?

Remember that ad from the late 80's or so?

Well, it's 3 a.m. here and I DO know where my kids are, because those beautiful little souls are crashed out right beside me in beautiful "we camped out in the den tonight" fashion.

Cool thing?  My mom knew where we were at 3 a.m., too.

Know why?  Because even in the days of proms and parties, she was there with us.

She was knee-deep involved in my life.

My mom packed junior high students in her full sized conversion van and made it "cool" to go hang out at Krispy Kreme and do late night jumping on the trampoline at our house.

She chaperoned high school dances.  She hosted after parties in our home.

As my circle of friends and acquaintances expanded, she took up car keys when needed (not too many times, but I do recall a few) and played the role of "Mama A" to many of my friends.

She had "come to Jesus meetings" with kids in need on a regular basis. :)

Many of my friends will tell you today that their lives turned out dramatically different because my Mama chose to be real with them.

My mom was involved.  She was a single parent for my junior and senior years in high school, and she was involved.

She was invested in not only my life, but the lives of my peers.

She welcomed kids with open arms ... and that's why they all just loved her.

She still does that today.

No pretenses.  Just love.

I believe with everything in me that God will equip me to fulfill that kind of role in the lives of my boys.

I believe that when I can't be there - because there's just not enough me to go around- that He will bridge the gap and parent is more than I could ever hope for or imagine.

I believe that He will do all of the above and teach me to parent from a place of grace, hope, joy, and peace.

I believe that He will teach me to parent in the truth of His word all while reminding my kids that God IS fun... and that they never have to seek fun outside of the protection of His love... because the Ultimate Party is always here with Him.

I see God providing Godly leaders in the paths of my boys.  Men and women who speak life over them and look for their best instead of their weaknesses...

I see God safeguarding their path from the words of those who don't yet know God's grace and allowing me and their mentors to direct them to only Godly leadership.

I see God giving them intuitive wisdom and discernment that is straight from the Holy Spirit himself, so that they know the will of God and how to walk in it.

May they recognize red flags when they see them and promptly run to Jesus for redirection.

May they always know that that bigger the mess, the quicker I want them to run to Jesus and to me.

Praising God in advance that He will allow me to raise these boys up in a way that I always know where they are at 3 a.m. and that, like my mom, I'm knee deep involved in their lives.

My job is to raise them up in Him... and it's my FAVORITE job.  I can't imagine it any other way.



ChristieAitken@gmail.com, 2014
http://www.ChristieAitken.blogspot.com
http://www.MyOilGirl.com 
Twitter: @ChristieAitken 
Google+: +Christie Aitken 



Comments

  1. My heart is full reading this again and I'm so grateful you felt that way about me. It's every mother's dream to hear her child find truths in what she tried so hard to teach. I love you my angel!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts